Tony and Mick falling out?

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

baudrillard wrote:It hasn't been a good millenium for Australian comedy in my opinion sadly.
Whattayamean? Gordon Chater, Graham Kennedy, Grahame Bond, Gary MacDonald and Paul Hogan mean nothing to you do they? You are insane. Or...
baudrillard wrote: no GNW, no Peter Berner
...we just do not have the same taste in comedy at all. I only liked GNW when Paul did sing, McCrossin and Robbins made me offer to make the cups of tea (rare, it only tastes good when it's made for you). Did you like Three Men and a Baby Grand by any chance? Or to be less facetious, did you always prefer The Late News to other parts of the TLS? I love the News Desk now (because I approx spent 7 years fast forwarding it), but.. well I'm just interested. Remember that time Tony asked a man on Acland St what his favourite segment was (obv. as a test to see if he did watch it), and was surprised when he said "The Late News"? News and political satire is clearly your thang.

I must admit to being crest fallen when I saw my half-sister (yes, I reckon I could challenge Martin and Kavalee to a complicated family tree Venn diagram-off) open her Christmas present, and to my Auntie's screeches of "It's got a penis on it!!" discovered that she had a "Year 7's are homos" t-shirt, signed dicktation. :???:

Ugh! It's finally cooler and now I can't sleep?
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

Menagers, this millenium is post-2000. But yeah I watched Gra Gra and Graham Bond (only to find out through someone who spent some time with him that he was a racist bigot). You're right though about political satire being my thing to some degree, I grew up watching the Gillies Report, but then again, I watched the D-Gen which wasn't political. Now days though I watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report and Real Time with Bill Maher, I listen to Harry Shearer's Le Show. But I find nothing much of value in things like Spicks and Specks or Rockwhiz, I've never watched the Librarians, but I like US sitcoms like Seinfeld, The Larry Sanders Show, The Office, Harvey Birdman, The Aqua Team Hunger Force, none of which is political. I didn't like Hogan, I used to love Australia You're Standing in it with Rob Quantock, I even used to watch While You're Down There with Richard Stubbs, I watched the Big Gig, I watched Chappelle's Show, I warch My Name is Earl, Sourh Park sometimes, The Young Ones and Filthy, Rich and Catflap - as you know, The Sean's Show, The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, Spaced, Peep Show, Dead Ringers, The Day Today, I'm Alan Partridge, Saxondale, In The Thick of It, Black Adder, Black Books, Green Wing. Not all of these are political satire probably maybe about half at best, and no my favourite part of TLS wasn't the News Desk, that was probably one of my least favourite parts of the show. I preferred the more random sketches that didn't easily fit into the standard structure of the show, Commercial Crimestoppers or Graham and the Colonel. But the point is here that I'm pointing to what was being made in the 90s as being quality, not just for the genre it was, but for the quality of its writing. Obviously I hated Fast Forward, but the Micaleff Programme, well that's completely different. Garry McDonald was alright. I can never forgive Hogan for Crockadile Dundee which with the help of Steve Irwin has made every American and Brit think we're savage idiots who stalk animals. The references to Australian comedy you've offered don't mean much to me, no, but I've offered other ones that do.

Who's Gordon Chater?
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

baudrillard wrote:Who's Gordon Chater?

He was an English guy who came over in the 50s and worked his way up. He was in stuff like the Mavis Bramston Show in the 60s. Barry Humphries worked with him before either of them were famous. He's got a decent pedigree, but the only thing I know him for is that egg shampoo sketch. You know the one. They're always wheeling it out in Aussie TV retrospectives.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Arr, don't go confusing me with your this millenium smartness. Again, I should not post to combat insomnia. Gordon Chater is just a rolled gold old school comedy performer.

I too loved and was raised on Australia You're Standing In It (my fave, from memory) and While You're Down There, The Gillies Report and Theatresports. I suppose I enjoyed them more via osmosis from my mother, who was cool enough to let me stay up and watch them, rather than by total understanding. I remember lots of custard gags that Quantock did. I really wish these were available on DVD. Although, I'm not sure I could handle too much Tim and Debbie gear.

For some reason I always think of Australia You're Standing In It when I see that D-Gen sketch with Tommy G in the caryard, who ends up getting so over excited about Australia! and Bargains! he ends up spinning around in a circle on one arm. Lord that was funny. Quantock must have done similar Australia! type stuff, to make me think of it.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

Yeah, when will shows like Australia! You're Standing In It, The Gillies Report and Theatresports get DVD releases? Some of us have to survive on those 80s video compilations of the first two and I include the later as I want to see very early Micallef and co.

I think you're thinking of the Dodgy Brothers with their caryard antics, menagers. And Quantock was gold, still is. He'd better be playing the Adelaide Fringe this year. Tim and Debbie don't stand up so well, although they have their moments.

Is that sketch with the Tommy G spinning on his arm on You Tube. I have fond memories of that also.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

Quantock's been a bit political of the last ten years or so too. :) I used to tape the Gillies report, pity I didn't keep them. I think my mum got my into watching Gillies. So Bean there's compilation tapes of which of these two series and where?
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

The ABC released them commercially in the late 80s - they turn up on eBay every now and again.

I've got The Gillies Report and AYSIT ones somewhere to convert to DVD, but I won't be getting around to it for a while as I've just started on my tapes of Michael Mann's Robbery Homicide Division and that'll keep me busy for the next few weeks at least. Sorry.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
een
Muckraker

Post by een »

Just be thankful you guys have any comedic identity at all.. If you've ever seen anything that passes for comedy coming out of New Zealand (apart from Tony of course and occasionally Cal Wilson) you'll see how terrible it can really be. There's nothing worthwhile as far as sitcoms go over here and sketch comedy just doesn't get a look in - I couldn't say when the last locally produced comedy show was aired over here. Maybe Bro Town, but Jesus, let's be serious for a second - we're talking about comedy.

So while you guys can complain about the quality of your comedy, at leat you're trying. :) NZ has no comedic identity.. We don't know what it is about us that makes us funny yet and depressingly that makes us not funny at all. I've been to some terrible stand up over here and some ordinary stand up in Australia but given the choice I would rather sit through an ordinary Aus set than any more NZ acts. Maybe that's just me.
If happy not on road

[INDENT]Then it certainly in end point
[/INDENT]
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

My point is, my NZ afflicted brother, that if it weren't for the 80s and 90s, we WOULDN'T have a comedic identity. It's all a matter of the past now. Why do you think I'm uploading episodes of Martin-Molloy from 10+ years ago, or that I get requests on torrent sites to upload Backberner or we mourn for the lack of copies of episodes of the original D-Generation series or we even miss the Panel being a regular programme rather than once a year, or that we're dissatisfied that we can only get complilation tapes of series like Australia, You're Standing In It and the Gillies Report that are from the 80s. It's because there might be some stuff produced, but it's 99.9% bullshit and not worth the trouble to watch it. Why do you think I pay so much money to download comedy from the UK and the US? And by the way, you're forgetting Flight of the Conchords! :)
- Jacques Derrida
een
Muckraker

Post by een »

True, I did forget Flight of the Conchords..

A little back story. I moved from Aus to NZ in '97, so I missed the final part of Martin Molly (even the Austereo webcast went silent when Martin Molly came on back then) and until recently had never seen an episode of The Panel. So in a way, I left when Australian comedy was still working (dare I say peaking? I can't be sure).

So little Australian comedy filters through to NZ (apart from Rove, and I am not a fan), the only way I can keep in touch is through forums like these. I have a point to make in here somewhere. Basically I can't really judge too harshly Australian comedy of recent times because I have no experience of it apart from what is discussed in this forum, but I am having a whale of a time enjoying the older stuff I can revisit from when I used to live over there. :) I hope that's not all too disjointed.

Not exactly related to what we're discussing, but a brief anecdote for you: I have had a long standing argument with my father over which was better, The Late Show or Fast Forward. I have always maintained that The Late Show was far superior and he wouldn't have a bar of it. Recently, he purchased all three seasons of Fast Forward to watch and I sent him my copies of The Late Show as a comparison. It's been two months since then and he's only gotten through three episodes of Fast Forward, but almost finished The Late Show and has happily admitted that The Late Show was much funnier. Huzzah!
If happy not on road

[INDENT]Then it certainly in end point
[/INDENT]