Tony and Mick falling out?

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

DeadsetLegend
Muckraker

Tony and Mick falling out?

Post by DeadsetLegend »

OK, so this is probably old news, but today I bought TV Week for the first time in ages, and was reading about the Panel's Christmas Wrap. The article was saying how Tony wouldn't be coming this year because Mick was going to be there and they had had a falling out and were no longer friends. The article said it was because of some fight about the dvd release of Boy Town.

I am shocked. I cannot even picture them two not being friends. Remind me, did Tony Martin work on Boy Town too? He must've if they were arguing over the dvd release?

Does anyone know any more details, or care to explain the whole drama to me, as I am totally out of the loop? :confused:
Emma, there’s an ancient current affairs recipe my grandmother gave me. You take any story, add sex, and stir

Compulsorily acquired. You know what this means don’t ya? They’re acquiring it compulsorily!
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

We've got a whole thread on it!

showthread.php?t=493

This is an absolute shock still, not only will Mick and Tone will NEVER work again, Tony has chosen to make it clear that they are not even on speaking terms to the point that they can't even be in the same room as each other! Aussie comedy is absolutely completely and utterly officially fucked now. There's no hope left.
SandhurstMachinery
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by SandhurstMachinery »

There's an article in today's paper about The Panel Christmas special but I can't find it online.

It also mentioned that Santo is modeling for a TLS obsessed artist who is painting him as Santo The Magnificent! The artist is going to enter it in the Archibald Prize.
"Fashion is danger"
Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat »

SandhurstMachinery wrote:It also mentioned that Santo is modeling for a TLS obsessed artist who is painting him as Santo The Magnificent! The artist is going to enter it in the Archibald Prize.
!!!!
Anyone from here??? That'd be GOLD!

I might paint Mick and Rob in Shitscared character!
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)
chelsea
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by chelsea »

baudrillard wrote: Aussie comedy is absolutely completely and utterly officially fucked now. There's no hope left.

Amen.
"No, I don't know why it's called a Las Vegas wax but then again, it does involve hot wax and your genitals so I guess it's a bit of a gamble."
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

You can't be serious. Sure, this is really, really sad news, but surely something else Australian made you laugh (on purpose) in 2007?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

Um, plenty of British stuff and much less US stuff. But sadly 13, I'm scratching my head, other than Newstopia. But that's one exception, and the only one I can think of. Mick's stacking of The Nation really didn't set a good standard, and I'm so glad the Chaser guys aren't returning I just hope they never do. Although I've heard from a source, they're only just doing their touring show for the first half of the year.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

I admit it hasn't been a bumper year for Aussie comedy - still better than 2005 though - but Newstopia was a highlight, John Clarke and Brian Dawe are always funny on The 7.30 Report, and The Librarians and (to some extent) Chandon Pictures had their moments.

Plus Get This, of course.

As for The Chaser, I'm semi-confident they'll go to a commercial network for some specials later this year. The only reason I can see for them to stay is if some members want to secure those "jobs-for-life" you see some ABC personalities (like Roy & H.G. or Denton, for example) having where you're always welcome back (even if you eventually go commercial). If they go now, they'd be more like Shaun Micallef or Kath & Kim - burning their bridges.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

It hasn't been a good millenium for Australian comedy in my opinion sadly. I used to really like Backberner, which I know you don't like, and I even liked Good News Week even though McDermott sang. We don't even have the Panel anymore which is more of a talk show rather than comedy. It's funny to note in that Tony used to always refer to the guests that were joining them on Martin-Molloy as joining them "on the panel" in the next hour. I always felt, wow, they actually really seem to have taken the name for their show from Tony. And listening to the early tapes, he says it often. It's funny. But yeah, no Martin-Molloy, no GNW, no Peter Berner, I could go on, but there's been a distinct lacking for a long time in my opinion sadly.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

Comedy in the UK's pretty much sucked for about 10 years. Australia's actually fared better in my view, with The Games, Micallef's various projects, Get This, Clarke & Dawe doing their thing on the 7.30 Report and early Chaser stuff.
I just want to pop him on a bit of toast and eat him right up.