Flight of the Conchords vs Tony Martin

For anything to do with Tony Martin - Get This, Martin/Molloy, Lolly Scramble, fan mail...

Moderator: ShitScared

13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Flight of the Conchords vs Tony Martin

Post by 13 schoolyards »

From an interview with FOTC in today's (21st May) Impress:
Clement says it's about time New Zealand comedy got a bit of its own back on its very competitive neighbours.

"You don't really see New Zealanders making fun of Australians on TV, not very often, but whenever you go to Australia, as soon as you get on the radio it's like 'Hi Phul', 'Hi Tim'," Clement says in his best bad New Zealand accent.
Sounds like a fairly specific gripe there (unless Tum & Phul are generic NZ insult names, and not specific to Martin / Molloy)... anyone want to tell him where Tony hails from?
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Oh, that is gold! I love kiwi gripings! I've known so many. So many very close to my heart. And on they go, but it's utterly pointless as they know that you know that they will never leave. Never take up citizenship mind you, but never leave. Thank goodness for that.

As for FOTC, isn't it great?

I do actually think the Tum and Phul names are, what you might call, generic. There's kiwi accents and there's kiwi accents. You know, like there's Westies and Easties here. Maybe saying "Tum and Phul" is like saying "Sharon and Darren"? But I also like to think that a Tony creation has just entered the subconcious, like "Champagne Comedy".
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

FOTC is hilarious. I've got the album and am listening to it now! My favourite songs as Foux Da Fafa, Hiphophapotomus and Business Time. I also like in the song Ladies of the World how they talk about the hermaphrodite ladies and say "Even you would be into you".

I like how they take the piss out of Australia in it, particularly when they're in New York and people keep thinking they're Aussie and they experience 'racism'. Finally when the New Yorkers realise they're New Zealanders, then they're treated like kings.
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

Having blind-bought the FOTC series on DVD from the States after all the hype, I have to say I was pretty disappointed... until around episode ten (the episode where the band gets two new fans), when they finally seeemed to figure out how to make funny comedy that wasn't just them standing around trying to crack onto women. So I'm (surprisingly) looking forward to series 2. Fingers crossed Ten keeps it on the air until then, but I'm not confident...

Some of their songs aren't half bad but.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat »

gee you're a hard nut to impress when it comes to comedy arent you 13?
Tell me some of your all time fave series (aside from TLS and TMMS)..
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)
ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared »

I actually agree with 13. Five mins into the first ep and I tuned out. Not my cup of tea.
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

I have to admit also. It's kind of half-arsed. But there are moments. And when you get it for free or next to free (i.e. the intertubes) it's not that bad. But I certainly would not have wanted to pay for it. Suckas. I think the audio version is better and what's really concerning is that they've used all their material in the first season. So I think it might be a bit of a wait until the second season is written because it'll mean them actually not recycling material. And yes, ever episode is about them trying to impress women. It's a bit repetitive to say the least. There are moments like the Bowie segment and the Lord of the Rings ones, but if I think back, and it's been about 6 months since I've seen it, that's all I can actually remember that stood out. I guess there's the racism against Australians, but even that was pretty average.
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Racism? Gee, I wouldn't call it that. It's more like needles up your arse. "We look the same but we're slightly different" and "Aren't you just the cat that got the cream?". Then we say something about a proclivity for ovines, and we win everytime. Not because it's clever or true, but because it bothers them so.
It's like the argy bargy that goes on between Aussies and Poms. That can get a bit nasty, but is it racism?
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

Nah nah menagers, it's a plot line in one of the episodes! :)
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

Ok, back in my box I go!