Twin Peaks

If it's not related to The D-Gen or any of the other threads, post it on here!

Moderator: ShitScared

een
Muckraker

Post by een »

I dunno.. I much prefer having the physical disk myself. For one thing, if I have a hard disk crash I don't have to go and download the whole movie again. But yeah.. I can see everything leaning towards downloads in the future but fingers crossed they wait at least until the ISPs ease up a little and give decent download limits and speeds (don't know what they're like in Aus, but over here it's generous without being useful).

I'm just about to kick off my Blu-Ray collection any day now. :)
If happy not on road

[INDENT]Then it certainly in end point
[/INDENT]
ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared »

Honest to god - whatever the edition set that has all the eps and Fire Walk With Me as a bundle - buy it.

Twin Peaks has to be one of the BEST SHOWS EVER. It's up there with Deadwood and Dexter. It was too good for its time. 13, you're right with the ending. I had to watch the last 15 minutes about 3 times to get a conclusion. The first time watching it you're confused as shit, the second time you have to include all the significant comments and clues throughout that whole series. The third time, you make up your own conclusion.

Story is that there was meant to be a 3rd season but because of lacklustre ratings midway through the 2nd season (the writers put in many story arcs which led the viewers astray).. I was getting frustrated with one episode that only had 5 minutes worth of the "whodunnit" story.

The part where BOB climbs over the lounge freaked me out
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yR26M0kMZzg - it may not look scary when you watch it, but in context of the story, it's scary!

Now I have to wait until the person who borrowed FWWM from my local Blockbuster returns it on Tuesday so I can grab it!

I've gone on a tangent and off topic.. sorry.

It's a hardcore show.. the extras are mainly full indepth interviews (MANY!!), and Log Lady intros to each episode. Sadly Season 2 menus are a bad layout.
menagers
Champagne Comedian

Post by menagers »

The rare book that accompanies the series, The Laura Palmer Diaries, is amazing as well. Well worth the hunt.
Are you castin' aspersions on the habeebee?
ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared »

menagers wrote:The rare book that accompanies the series, The Laura Palmer Diaries, is amazing as well. Well worth the hunt.
As well as the Dale Cooper Audio Tapes which won Kyle McLachlan a Grammy award! The tapes were all the recordings in the show (redone for the commercial release) plus more.

The Laura Palmer Diaries were written by David Lynch's daughter. She explains all in the Special Features interview.

I feel like I'm 18 years too late.. though I was 10 when it was first screened.
baudrillard
Champagne Comedian

Post by baudrillard »

I read the Dale Cooper diaries. I had no idea there was an audio version of them. Does anyone have a copy of them? And I always thought it was a bit weird that Jennifer Lynch wrote the Laura Palmer diaries. And god, she made Boxing Helena, which has one of the worse uses of symbolism in any film ever. I mean okay Helena is held captive, we get it, we really don't need to see a bird flapping it's wings unable to get out of a cage, that's really just so trite I can remember it to this day!
Whatever precautions you take so the photograph will look like this or that, there comes a moment when the photograph surprises you. It is the other's gaze that wins out and decides.
- Jacques Derrida
ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Post by ShitScared »

baudrillard wrote:I read the Dale Cooper diaries. I had no idea there was an audio version of them. Does anyone have a copy of them? And I always thought it was a bit weird that Jennifer Lynch wrote the Laura Palmer diaries. And god, she made Boxing Helena, which has one of the worse uses of symbolism in any film ever. I mean okay Helena is held captive, we get it, we really don't need to see a bird flapping it's wings unable to get out of a cage, that's really just so trite I can remember it to this day!
I'd love a copy too if someone can find it on the internets.

FYI

http://www.twinpeaks.org/faqeps.htm#e21

Careful. Spoilers!
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

I used to have the Laura Palmer diaries somewhere, but I think it's long gone. Wasn't there a second Twin Peaks book? Or was that the Dale Cooper one? God, it's so long ago...

I don't think either Twin Peaks box set has Fire Walk with Me, but I can honestly say that it's one of my top five movies of all time - I'm a huge Lynch fan (I've even got Boxing Helena on DVD... why?), and it's the one film where he got the weird-arse stuff and the character-based emotion stuff balanced perfectly. It does help a little (okay, more than a little) to know the TV show but even if you don't, as a look inside the life and mind of an abused girl it's very, very well done.

And available locally on DVD, which it wasn't for freakin' years and years.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
ShitScared
Champagne Comedian

Twin Peaks

Post by ShitScared »

Because I touched a topic which is close-to-heart with some people here, I'd start a thread.
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

I still think physical media will survive in some form alongside digital things for decades yet but it will be a minority market for collectors or old farts.

Is the Twin Peaks box set still only available as an 'import' from the Netherlands or somewhere?
I'm a thinker.... I thinka!
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

No, the 'Gold Box' Twin Peaks box set is out pretty much everywhere. there were plenty of rumours about a French edition of Fire Walk With Me with four hours of deleted scenes, but it never seems to have been released, dammit.

I'm not really sure if DVDs will stick around like records / LPs seem to be doing - no-one seems to be suggesting that VHS tapes will last forever, or cassettes for that matter. Unless there's a technological reason to keep old stuff around (like LPs supposedly richer sound) or old formats contain a lot of titles that don't make the jump to new formats, I think people (that is, the next generation) will happily move on.
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"