Differences between Season 1 & 2

Chat and reminisce about The Late Show, an Australian comedy series which aired on ABC from 1992- 1993.

Moderators: ShitScared, BenG, Steve

Dufflecoat Supreme
Sandhurst Mechanic

Differences between Season 1 & 2

Post by Dufflecoat Supreme »

Apart from the obvious, stage, Judith, Olden Days/Bargearse what subtle differences do you notice.

I reckon Season 1 was a bit more spontaneous where season 2 seemed a little more rigid, but still piss funny make no mistake.

Anything else?
An almost fanatical love of the safari suit.
Bean Is A Carrot
Champagne Comedian

Post by Bean Is A Carrot »

I remember being really excited about series 2, I was waiting with baited breath for weeks...and then it didn't seem quite as funny as series 1. I mean, it was funny, but not as funny...maybe I'd built it up too much in my mind. Anyway, I got kind of annoyed with the kids at school who were raving about it, because I was thinking "It's not as funny as series 1".

Having said that, series 2 has lots of classic moments and lots of great new stuff like the Mick/Judith tension, Bargearse and the songs at the end. By then end of series 2 I was really hoping they'd do series 3 and I remember feeling utterly desolate when Don Lane sang Saturday Night Is The Loneliest Night and it was all over. Saturday nights have always been a let down ever since.
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

I only started watching TLS halfway through season 1, so I felt like I was going to experience something special when season 2 beckoned! I think the difference between the two seasons was how it all went mainstream.
Feng
Muckraker

Post by Feng »

I've always preferred the season 1 set over the season 2 set. It just looked classier, even before it got the Jeff and Terry makeover. Tommy G's news desk in S2 looked cheap compared to the fancy lighting and rotating world thingy in S1.
Jesus Christ! It's Philip Brady!
Damien Lasaration
Muckraker

WEEWANNAWEEWANNAWEEWANNAWEE!

Post by Damien Lasaration »

i'D HAVE TO AGREE THAT tOMMY'S SET LOOKED A BIT NAF IN SERIES 2. bUT AS MUCH as Id have to say about Judith being this and that it was running too fast. The glory was in 1992. I mean what happened in 1993? It was the surprise of 94 with Kurt Cobain dying/ Richey Dissappearence, Oasis (Imagine all the Liam Gallagher material they could of done!) 1993 was a little year for memerable news (I think), season two was more autobiographical.

DL.
This is my signature.
Mason Hell-Cat
Champagne Comedian

Post by Mason Hell-Cat »

I remember feeling really dissapointed that there was no Shirty (but thinking about it later, there wasn't much else they could do with that I spose), no Piss-Weak World, and no Countdown Classics.
Though I was thankful for the new toilet breaks!!

I really don't feel Series 2 dropped in quality in the slightest. If anything I found the skits a lot tighter and funnier in series 2.
"No holds barred....no beg your pardons..."

Loose talk: masonhellcat.wordpress.com
Foolish behaviour: youtube.com/user/MasonHellCat
Beer: hellcatsbeerblog.wordpress.com
and TV Dinner: masoandads.wordpress.com
mrtonymartin:
Hilarious 1986 ep of 'Backchat' with 'D-Generation' complaints: (starts at 1:30): http://tinyurl.com/3cfvrz8 (via @masonhellcat)
Pete the Clown
Brilliant, Brilliant

Post by Pete the Clown »

I think season 1 was a lot more formated in the way that every week or two they had segments such as Countdown Classics, Shitscared, Muckraking, Commerial Crimestoppers on compared to more group mailbag in season 2 and Shitscared, Muckraking and crimestoppers were on less often (I guess once every 3-5 weeks). To me that was the major difference as each of the cast in season 1 had there own bit/segment in the show with another of the team. And yeah there was no regular Shirty/Pissweak World type sketches in season 2 whereby they could have done 10-12 sketched based on the one idea that each could be 30-45 seconds long spread over a number of shows. That's my theory but still "brilliant, brilliant" comedy in both seasons.

"I'm drinking out of someone elses coffee mug."
13 schoolyards
Champagne Comedian

Post by 13 schoolyards »

Yep, season 2 seemed to be a lot more free-wheeling - you'd never really know what you were going to get. Apart from Bargearse and Charlie the Wonderdog, both of which I liked at least as much as The Olden Days. Then there was the musical mix-ups at the end each week, the increasing quality (for mine) of Mick & Tone's street chats, the extended mockumentaries like 'Beware of Wog' and 'The Last Aussie Auteur', the rise of The Oz Brothers... I think season 2 was definitely as strong as the first one, whatever it's flaws.

That said, season two did seem to be the one where they started to realise they were getting a fanbase that would follow them no matter what they did - just look at the audience for the Sydney show. Much as I really would have loved them to do Year Three, with everyone (myself included) loving everything they did there's a chance the quality might have dropped off. Either that or the backlash might have set in - more and more I think two seasons was exactly the right number, and the best thing they did was to go their seperate ways and do projects that were (almost) as good - by which I mean Frontline and Martin / Molloy.

Who knows - if they'd axed The Panel after two years we might be on a site dedicated to how great it was, instead of grumbling about how it just seemed to drag on and on...
"Aww great - there goes my genitalia you slutty little monkey!"
kim
Champagne Comedian

Re: WEEWANNAWEEWANNAWEEWANNAWEE!

Post by kim »

Damien Lasaration wrote:i'D HAVE TO AGREE THAT tOMMY'S SET LOOKED A BIT NAF IN SERIES 2. bUT AS MUCH as Id have to say about Judith being this and that it was running too fast. The glory was in 1992. I mean what happened in 1993? It was the surprise of 94 with Kurt Cobain dying/ Richey Dissappearence, Oasis (Imagine all the Liam Gallagher material they could of done!) 1993 was a little year for memerable news (I think), season two was more autobiographical.
DL.
I agree 1992 was better than 1993, but some stuff did happen in 1993. Namely: Clinton inaugurated, Olympic announcement, River Phoenix dying (as did Andre the Giant and Vincent Price!), my hotel catching on fire... er, anything else? :oops:
Damien Lasaration
Muckraker

Post by Damien Lasaration »

I think we were a bit scared of Clinton by this stage. We all got premonitions that this man was more than a guy with a dick but a guy with a king missile (I love Martin Scorsasse!). River dying was a tragedy noone saw coming. He just went. A case of misadventure but there was mention of it somewhere?! (pls confirm? A snide remark on Tony's account?), With your fire, thats not funny. But they covered that too with the dreams skit. You know, with the erotic dreams and their sub plots! Mick in as Ethal Murman!? The bunny suit was quite cute though! If they paid out on River they would of been bombed (like all the lunatics are doing it to the Danish) by all those shoe gazers (that didnt kill themselves over Kurt's suicide a year later). And NO! If this was a PANEL forum, you would not find me here. They have lost it and now Im reduced to Comedy Inc. Damn you! *shakes fist like Abe Simpson!*

DL.
This is my signature.