Should logins be mandatory on this forum?

Got any suggestions for this website? Contributions you'd like to make? Please post any website-related messages here.

Moderator: ShitScared

Should logins be mandatory?

You may select 1 option

View results

kim
Champagne Comedian

Should logins be mandatory on this forum?

Post by kim »

What does everyone think - should logins be mandatory?

I don't want to shut any new people out if they want to be anonymous or can't be bothered signing up. As for people who forget... in your browser you should be able to save your password so you're logged in every time you load it up...
Steve
Australia's Best Dressed

Post by Steve »

Yes I agree Log ins should be mandatory, Kim, No offence to the honest and legitimate guests if you're truely a fan, you should register.

Also is there any check for people who register that we never hear from them (no posts), refresh the membership list fom time to time.

If they do not respond to a reminder email after a certain period then delete them. (sorry if that is more work for you Kim!)

I have found this with other forums. The memberships can grow to hundreds, even thousands, but only a core group of a dozen are active.

Just a thought for us all to debate....
"Sturt was a good film... but it was no Strzelecki"

R.I.P. GTV-9 Bendigo Street, Richmond... A lifetime of memories behind those red brick walls.

Member #46
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

i don't have a problem making it mandatory to register, as 90% of the posts here are from registered users. i do need to upgrade the forum software in order to make the change, though. this shouldn't be difficult and shouldn't take too long, but i do need to make sure i back up the current database! :lol:

Post by Guest »

heheh the irony of this is guests can't vote for this. i'd vote no though, i'm very lazy
BenG
Sandhurst Mechanic

Post by BenG »

Kim, I would say Yes.
kim
Champagne Comedian

Post by kim »

I forgot about the irony of the guests not being able to vote :)

Once I get off my arse and actually upgrade the ancient forum software used on here, I'll be able to enforce that, but there's no option in the current configuration options (that I can see) to make registration mandatory.

My ironic 'concern' is that by upgrading to a new version of the forum means it'll be more susceptible to being hacked, as they seem to find more holes in the later versions! This version is so old that hackers aren't even bothered to look them up anymore :-)

I'm too scared to get on a train this week but I'll look into it when I am not too tired from walking around London :)